Keeping your kids safe online can seem like a minefield, especially if you’re new to all of the modern social media platforms. That’s why I write a series of informative articles on Reddit.
Read on to find out what young people can find on Reddit and how to set Reddit’s parental controls.
What is Reddit?
Reddit is a popular social platform that allows people to share and create content about their interests. Each topic is known as a subreddit, and posts about the topic can be “upvoted” or “against” by users. nice. When your post gets upvotes, it will rank higher on Reddit and be seen by more people. If it receives negative votes, it will be demoted and eventually disappear.
Is Reddit Safe?
For many young people, Reddit is a positive experience. A place where she can find a community of like-minded teens to discuss their passions and interests. It’s also a space to seek support and advice on subreddits like r/lgbtqteens for young people who are part of the LGBTQ+ community and r/Anxiety for young people with emotional challenges.
However, like all social media platforms, some posts on Reddit are only suitable for users over the age of 18. Adult content is marked as NSFW on Reddit. This acronym is Internet slang for ‘Not Safe For Work’ and is often used to describe posts related to sex, nudity, and pornography. The potential risks of Reddit NSFW have left some parents wondering if the platform is safe and what they can do to protect their children.
How to Set Up Reddit Parental Controls: Step-by-Step Instructions
Here are 10 steps you can take to protect your kids on Reddit.
- Go to reddit.com. Your child must be logged into their account.
- Click your child’s username in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- in the drop-down menu[ユーザー設定]Choose.
- Click Profile. next,[詳細]Scroll down to the section[コンテンツの可視性]and[コミュニティでアクティブな可視性]Disable the toggle next to Click “Save” at the bottom of the screen. This allows us to increase your child’s anonymity on our platform.
- Scroll up to[プライバシーとセキュリティ]Click.
- [ユーザー プライバシー]In the top section of[検索エンジンのインデックス作成]Disable the toggle next to This will remove your child’s profile from search engine results.
- [メッセージのプライバシー]Scroll down to section.[メッセージを送信できるユーザー]Click the dropdown next to[すべてのユーザー]from[ホワイトリストに登録済み]Change to.
- You can now add who can message your child’s Reddit account. Please note that moderators and admins of subreddits your child follows can still send private her messages. This is why it’s important to decide which subreddits your child can follow. And you have to refuse. For more information, see our Reddit article on how to block subreddits. Then click Save at the bottom of the screen.
- Scroll up to[フィード設定]Click.
- At the top of the list is Content Settings.[アダルト コンテンツ]is disabled. If the child is under the age of 18, it should be disabled by default.[アダルト コンテンツ]Under settings[メディアの自動再生], which when disabled will stop auto-playing videos and GIFs. Click “Save” at the bottom of the screen.
You should make sure these Reddit Parental Controls are in place regularly. You can also block certain Reddit users from following or interacting with your child.
Other ways to keep your kids safe on Reddit
Besides setting up Reddit parental controls, there are other things you can do to keep your kids safe on the platform.
Explore Reddit yourself
Set up a Reddit account and take the time to explore the platform to understand potential risks for your child. Familiarity with Reddit can provide useful information for conversations and discussions with teens. See next point.
keep a line of communication open
Talk to your child about the communities they visit on Reddit. Have regular conversations about the types of content they post and what’s happening in the community. If you show interest in their online world and keep your means of communication open, they are more likely to come to you with their worries and concerns.
encourage other hobbies and interests
To help your child balance their use of Reddit with other hobbies and activities, find out why they are drawn to Reddit. Understanding the needs your child is trying to meet (relaxation, escapism, socializing, learning about new topics) makes it easier to help them find other interests that meet those needs. See Hobby Tools.
Set and monitor time limits
Screen time guidelines help you manage your family’s use of screen time. To encourage healthy digital habits, it’s important to set and monitor screen time limits to prevent Reddit and other social media platforms from taking over your child’s life.
Introduce other parental controls
Consider other ways to keep your kids safe online. In addition to setting up parental controls for Reddit, your broadband, browser, and app stores also have parental controls to help protect your kids from cyberbullying, harmful content, and online predators.
Does your child have an unhealthy relationship with Reddit?
You may have other concerns about your child’s use of Reddit than potentially exposing them to inappropriate content or cyberbullying. Some young people become addicted to the platform and start taking over their lives. As a result, academics, relationships, physical and mental health can suffer, and Reddit can even become an addiction.
This can happen to young gamers who have become increasingly dependent on Reddit. The platform forms part of the gaming experience by sharing and commenting on video game subreddits with other gamers.
If your child has an unhealthy relationship with games or Reddit, Game Quitters is where you can find support and resources.
You can also book a free Gameplan call to discuss their situation. Free space is limited.